CoI with primary/secondary school students

The Community of Inquiry Forums CoI Research – Discussion Forum CoI with primary/secondary school students

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of J. Aleta Villanueva J. Aleta Villanueva 2 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
    Silvia Klunder
    Participant

Hi
    I am Silvia from the Netherlands.

Last year I started my dissertation research and my topic is how to use videoconferencing in an effective way for chronic ill students who cannot of just partly can attend lessons in their mainstream schools.
    The students are pupils in primary and secondary schools (age 6 -18)

I will use CoI and apart from classroom/laptop observations I want to use questionnaires for students (and teachers)

Therefore I need to adjust (and translate) the questionnaire. (a lot of the statements are a bit complicated for primary school and secondary school students)

Who can give me some hints/advice?
    I cannot find much research of CoI for the age group 6 -18.

Thanks in advance!

Silvia Klunder

J. Aleta Villanueva
      Participant

Hi.
      My research project applied the CoI in the K-12 setting. I examined blended learning interactions among HS students and teachers through the framework. I had to adapt the CoI instrument = made a bilingual version, too. How’s your study going?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Assel Stambekova
        Participant

Hi Aleta,

Interested in learning how you adapted the CoI instrument for a bilingual version. Would you mind connecting and sharing your experience?

Briefly about me: I’m a doctoral candidate in teacher education and currently at data collection stage in exploring the role of families and teachers in supporting students’ learning and maximising teacher effectiveness in virtual learning environments in response to COVID-19 and forced homeschooling. I’m inclined to use CoI as my analytical framework of the interviews with families, teachers and students. However, not very sure how CoI meets secondary school students’ aged 11-14 needs. I’d be extremely happy to talk to you about your study and the adapted version of CoI.

Regards
        Assel

J. Aleta Villanueva
          Participant

Hi Assel. I adapted the CoI survey for use among Grade 7 and Grade 10 students. I changed a few terms and I was able to gather data on their experiences by adding a few questions. Would love to talk more about it. Sorry for this very late reply.

I came across another framework called the Adolescent Community Engagement (ACE). While COI is more geared to adult learners, the ACE – an acknowledged derivative of COI – is geared toward K12 online learning. You will see similarities in the concepts presented.

Borup, J., West, R. E., Graham, C. R., & Davies, R. S. (2014). The Adolescent Community of Engagement framework: A lens for research on K-12 online learning. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 22(1), 107-129.

J. Aleta Villanueva
      Participant

Hi Angela. The ACE is now Academic Communities of Engagement. However, I preferred to apply the CoI because of its elements which best fit my investigation of blended learning interactions and experiences. The categories & indicators as well as the survey made practical sense. I proposed a modified version considering the study of Garrison and Akyol (2015) on Shared Metacognition.

Comments are closed.