CoI Research – Discussion Forum

The Community of Inquiry Forums CoI Research – Discussion Forum

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Yianna Vovides Yianna Vovides 10 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Marguerite Koole
    Key Master

CoI Research

Members are welcome to post messages to one another about research on the Community of Inquiry framework.

D. Randy Garrison
      Key Master

Welcome to the beginning of what I hope will be a stimulating and worthwhile discourse associated with Community of Inquiry (CoI) research.

I thought I would start this discussion forum by soliciting posts with regard to the needs and interests, whether they be conceptual dilemmas or direct challenges, associated with the CoI theoretical framework.

Although refinements have been made to its elements, I believe the coherence of the framework itself has held up remarkably well since its beginning 15 years ago. Not withstanding this, however, there are issues and challenges that need to be addressed. There are also areas where participants simply wish to seek clarification. This raises the question how best do I get a quick overview of the CoI framework. While we are working on this, a comprehensive overview may be found in the second edition of E-Learing in the 21st Century.

From a research perspective, one of the core issues is whether we should add more elements to the framework. For example, it has been argued that a learning/learner or emotional presence should be included in the framework. My position has been that these can be accommodated within the existing presences or at the intersection of the presences. In terms of better defining and understanding the interdependence and overlap between the presences is our work on metacognition (Garrison & Akyol, 2013). Here we have focused on the intersection between Teaching and Cognitive Presence and defined metacognition as self and co-regulation to reflect purposeful learning in a collaborative environment.

In any case, I will not lead the selection of possible discussion topics further. I would like to hear from you what topics you would like to focus on. From there, hopefully, we can have a production discussion.

Garrison, D. R., & Akyol, Z. (2013). Toward the development of a metacognition construct for the community of inquiry framework. Internet and Higher Education, 17, 84-89.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hi Randy and all!

I see this as a great opportunity to discuss and consider the contribution the CoI has already made and could make in the transition to online learning environments.  There is  a custom in Sweden called ‘fika’, where people meet to debate the issues of the day, while having coffee and snacks.  I hope this will become virtual fika for those of us involved in CoI research and implementation.

As one who has examined the notion of emotional presence in online environments, I can declare that our presumption was that, in empirical study, emotional presence would not emerge as a separate entity.  In fact, we created items for measuring EP that related to possible overlap with the other three presences.  So far, the evidence suggests partial overlap but also a distinct student and instructor experience focused on emotional response.  But our work continues …. we are a very long way from suggesting a fourth presence.

We look forward to hearing your take on what’s been the benefit, and what is the future, for the CoI in research?  How have you used the framework in your research?

MCI

Mitja Dečman
      Participant

COI survey.

Can someone explain more deeply what is the difference (goals of these questions) between:

6. The instructor was helpful in guiding the class towards understanding course topics in a way that helped me clarify my thinking.

8. The instructor helped keep the course participants on task in a way that helped me to learn.

Both focus on the help of instructor in a form of gudance to help student think and learn. I am having a hard time translating these questions in our language.

Thanks

Mitja

December 5, 2013 – Reply from Randy Garrison

Mitia,

Apparently you had a question with regards to two of the items in the CoI questionnaire.

Both are facilitation questions; therefore, it is an issue of nuance and hard to offer advice re translation.

As you know when constructing such questionnaires we try to write similar questions that will correlate with the category we are trying to reflect.

For that reason I would simply focus on being sure the translation of the items reflect facilitation as defined by the teaching presence construct.

I hope that is helpful.

All the best,

DRG

Madelaine Befus
      Key Master

Hello Mitja

I noticed you haven’t yet received a reply to your question so I’ve emailed it to some people I think may be able to help.  I’ll post any further information here soon.

Madelaine

Yianna Vovides
      Participant

We are implementing research on CoI with our GeorgetownX initiative. In fact one of my students is going to be doing her thesis focusing on social presence. Anyone interested in collaborating?

Best,

Yianna

Comments are closed.