COI Survey Instrument – instructor self-assessment

The Community of Inquiry Forums CoI Research – Discussion Forum COI Survey Instrument – instructor self-assessment

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Annette Garner Annette Garner 8 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Jen Chingwe
    Participant

My name is Jen Swatton-Chingwe and I am using a modified COI survey instrument for my Ed.D. dissertation research (Rutgers) to study ways to use student perceptions of teaching presence to improve online instructor practice. I am studying an online professional development program and also plan to survey instructors using the same COI survey I give the students, but reworded so the instructors can self-assess their own teaching presence.

I have been searching for other studies where instructors self-assessed their teaching presence to guide my survey design but haven’t found anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I think it will be interesting to see how students perceive teaching presence and as compared to instructor perceptions. I am also going to do a content analysis of discussion forums (instructor posts) and instructor feedback to see if what students perceive based on the COI survey results has actually occurred in the course, and to what degree.

Thanks! Jen ;-)

Annette Garner
      Participant

Hi Jen,
      We redesigned a nursing capstone course, in a fully online baccalaureate completion program at the Oregon Health & Science University in Portland, using the CoI framework. It’s been about 2 1/2 years and faculty are having significant variations in teaching presence. I’d be every interested in your outcomes.

I’m also interested in the survey you’re using for instructors. Faculty are trying to get our arms around “how to be” across the various presences.

Feel free to email me at garnern@ohsu.edu

Thanks
      Annette

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Jen Chingwe
        Participant

Hi Annette, I’d love to see your student survey if you have one already. I would be happy to share what have when it’s ready. One of the products of my dissertation will be a survey tool for use by other instructor-led professional development programs, along with a guide for use and an explanation of my study results. I plan on designing a survey based on the study’s results and what students feel is most important related student satisfaction. I’m also developing an eLearning course for my dissertation (along with a journal article for submission – we have a portfolio format option). The eLearning course will be a self-paced course on teaching presence (what is it, how to improve). Happy to share when ready, would love to get your feedback. My email is jenchingwe@gmail.com. I’m finally starting to come out of the weeds of data analysis. ;-) Jen

Annette Garner
          Participant

Hi Jen,
          The student survey is I mention is the CoI survey.

I’d love to see what you’re thinking is about teaching presence. It’s one that our faculty has a wide divergence of opinion and engagement.

I’m thinking Lisa’s dissertation could be a big help.
          Annette

Lisa Gurley
      Participant

Dear Jen and Annette,
      My name is Lisa Gurley, and I am a PhD (Nursing Education and Administration) student at William Carey University, Hattiesburg, MS, USA. I am also faculty in an undergraduate nursing program in Birmingham, AL.

I am scheduled to defend my research proposal on August 1, 2015 to study college educators’ preparation to teach, perceived teaching presence, and perceived teaching presence behaviors in blended and online learning environments. I am adapting the CoI survey instrument to address educators’ perceptions of teaching presence. Due to time constraints, I am including open-ended interview questions asking educators to describe their experiences with teaching blended and online courses.

Similar to Jen, I have found very little information in the literature about faculty perspectives of teaching presence. It is very exciting to connect with others interested in this topic. Jen, how far are you in the dissertation process? What have you learned so far?

Respectfully,
      Lisa Gurley

Annette Garner
        Participant

Lisa,
        This is perfect. May your defense go swimmingly. I’d love to hear what you found.

Our program is fully online. 2 courses have a clinical component where students do hours at a specific site with a project or deepening other nursing skill sets. We made adjustments to social presence a couple years ago. Teaching presence has a variety of opinions about what it is, when to use it, how much to use it. Fortunately the literature is starting to report more about the details of teaching presence, so it’s a process of helping us all move toward newer findings.

I’d love to see your instrument.
        Annette
        garnern@ohsu.edu

Jen Chingwe
      Participant

Hi Lisa,

What I did in my study (still working on data analysis) was to create a teaching presence survey based on the indicators of teaching presence in the content analysis coding scheme (Shea etc…). The survey was given to both students and the instructors in four instructor-led online professional development courses (just reworded slightly to make it appropriate for each audience). It’s quite interesting to see how the students rate the instructors and how they rate themselves. I also did something a little different (Diaz etc…) — for each indicator of teaching presence, I asked the students and instructors to agree or disagree with whether the instructor manifested that action in the course, and also how important that indicator is to a worthwhile learning experience for students. I’m still sorting through the data, but this allows me to see what students/instructors believe is most important as a baseline for the quality of the instructor’s practice in the course. So far, instructors rate themselves WAY higher than students. Still sifting through it, but interesting.

Anyway, I’m happy to share anything I have with you or talk with you on the phone. My email is jenchingwe@gmail.com.

One quick unasked for tip for your defense. My dissertation committee didn’t know too much about COI (1 did, 3 didn’t at all). One way I made the data analysis plan more clear was to create some charts with dummy data (similar to what I expected) to explain my plan – they really appreciated it.

Take care, Jen ;-)

Comments are closed.