CoI Survey with High School Students

The Community of Inquiry Forums CoI Research – Discussion Forum CoI Survey with High School Students

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Kyleigh Harrell Kyleigh Harrell 9 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Kyleigh Harrell
    Participant

Good evening! Has anyone done any research on the Community of Inquiry with high school students? All of the research I am finding is with undergraduate and graduate students. Thank you for any input!

Kyleigh

Michael Vose
      Participant

Hi Kyleigh,

I am in my third qualitative study of blended learning flex and rotation models observing teacher roles through the COI framework. One was in a traditional HS N=25 and the other two were in 9-10 charter urban charter schools with N=60.

Michael

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Madelaine Befus
      Key Master

Hi Kyleigh

Here are a few CoI studies in K-12 populations

Borup, J., Graham, C. R., & Drysdale, J. S. (2013). The nature of teacher engagement at an online high school. British Journal of Educational Technology. doi:10.1111/bjet.12089

Dikkers, A. G., Whiteside, A. L., & Lewis, S. (2013). Virtual high school teacher and student reactions to the social presence model. Journal of Interactive Online Learning, 13(3), 156–170.

Jimoyiannis, A., & Angelaina, S. (2012). Towards an analysis framework for investigating students’ engagement and learning in educational blogs. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 28(3), 222–234.

O’Dwyer, L. M., Carey, R., & Kleiman, G. (2007). A study of the effectiveness of the Louisiana algebra I online course. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 39(3), 289–306.

Pellas, N., Peroutseas, E., & Kazanidis, I. (2013). Virtual communities of inquiry (VCoI) for learning basic algorithmic structures with Open Simulator and Scratch4OS: A case study from the Secondary education in Greece. In Proceedings of the 6th Balkan Conference in Informatics (pp. 187–194).

Rice, R. E., Robinson, J. A., & Caron, B. (2011). Sampling the Sea: Using Social Media for an Online Ocean Sustainability Curriculum. In Social Media Tools and Platforms in Learning Environments (pp. 373–385). Springer.

Stenbom, S., Hrastinski, S., & Cleveland-Innes, M. (2012). Student-Student Online Coaching as a Relationship of Inquiry: An Exploratory Study from the Coach Perspective. Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks, 16(5).

Cheers,
      Madelaine

Kyleigh Harrell
      Participant

Michael and Madelaine, thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I will look at those studies now. Michael, did you use the CoI survey with the students?
      Thank you!
      Kyleigh

Comments are closed.